Octopus Energy Group was launched in 2016 with a vision of using technology to make the green energy revolution affordable whilst transforming customer experiences. Its domestic energy arm already serves over 1.5 million customers with cheaper greener power, through Octopus Energy, Co-op Energy, M&S Energy, Affect Energy, London Power and Tesla Power.
Octopus Energy for Business manages over 12,000 customers with proprietary energy offerings. Octopus Electric Vehicles is helping make clean transport che aper and easier, and Octopus Energy Services is bringing smart products to thousands of homes.
All of these are made possible by Octopus Energy Group’s technology arm, Kraken Technologies, which offers a proprietary cloud-native technology platform based on advanced data and machine learning capabilities. Kraken automates much of the energy supply chain to allow outstanding service and efficiency as the world transitions to a decentralised, decarbonised energy system. With operations in Germany and Australia, Octopus Energy Group’s mission to drive the affordable green revolution is going global.
We’re looking for someone to take on the challenge of owning the webservice backend for a mobile app in the electrification space. You’ll take responsibility for building the backend from the ground up, and will be working with the product team to turn vision into technical reality.
This is a greenfield app which will give you the chance to have a huge impact. You’ll have freedom to define back-end architecture and – given Octopus’s ambitions in the electrification space – influence how the back-end scales to meet new challenges and create a wider ecosystem.
Overall, you’ll work with a small, high-energy project team to bring the app to life – an exciting opportunity to work like a start-up within a rapidly scaling EnTech business.
This is an app that needs to be built to an exceptionally high standard – as such we’re looking for a superstar with a wide-range of skills, the passion to create something amazing, and the mindset to learn and grow with the company. We’d love to talk to you if you:
- Have a deep understanding of the Python ecosystem with 5+ years of experience.
- Have experience in the creation of the webservice backend of a mobile app through all technical aspects: develop, integrate, ship, test, manage, improve.
- Can discuss vision and features within a team and propose creative solutions
- Have a solid understanding of architecture and the benefits different types of architecture have.
- Can implement a sensible testing strategy
- Experience with various relational and NoSQL databases, and the knowledge to choose the right database to suit the job at hand
- Knowledge of (or a desire to learn) GraphQL APIs
- Experience with AWS
- Proficient understanding of Git
- Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous deployment
Location: Soho, London
Type: Remote initially. Thereafter, permanent full-time onsite in central London, with the opportunity to work remotely several days a week.