Website Oakam Ltd
We are an online micro-lender helping underbanked, overlooked, consumers onto and up the credit ladder. Powered by the growing prevalence of the smartphone, we’re working to make consumer credit more inclusive and affordable for those who need it most.
In the UK alone we provide fair access to credit to 12m migrants and working poor; we have originated around half a million loans to 155,000 unique customers and provided funds of over £350 million to financially excluded communities.
Our app and our smart-phone based scoring model interpret and use alternative data in underwriting, risk management and customer engagement. We believe that technology should enhance customer service, offering a commitment to quality service, convenient access, and financial empowerment.
Our plan is to grow by 10x and expand to Sub-Saharan Africa over the next 2 years. Our core team has been carefully selected from top companies like Barclays, JP Morgan and Finastra to lead us to the next phase of growth. We are looking for a Risk Manager to help solve analytical problems across the organization and propose product and credit policy changes to improve company profitability. We are looking for Risk Managers to help solve analytical problems across Oakam, focusing on credit risk, fraud, and optimising customer profitability. You will monitor the portfolio, createrisk models, and propose new product and pricing strategies.
What you’ll be doing:
- Design, build and maintain our risk and profitability models. These are used for underwriting loans, combatting fraud, setting product pricing, segmenting customers, and predicting portfolio performance.
- Analyse the performance of these statistical models and their associated business rules, and propose how they should be set to achieve the desired risk-reward outcomes and profitability targets.
- Write credit policies that codify how our models work, and present them to the Credit Committee for formal approval.
- Propose data-driven product changes to improve customer experience and company profitability, and partner withthe Product, Data Science and Engineering teams to implement your solutions in production.
- Monitor the portfolio to identify trends, and lead meetings to share performance updates and analysis.
- Conduct ad-hoc analysis to identify the root causes of changes in portfolio performance, propose solutions and evaluate their expected impact.
Who you are:
- You are interested in consumer finance, customer psychology and the challenges of lending responsibly in the UK and in emerging markets.
- If you don’t know Python already, you are keen to use Python as a primary language for modelling and analysis.
- You have strong skills using R or Python for analysing moderately large datasets, and have a good working knowledge of SQL.
- You are comfortable extracting insights from real-world datasets and communicating your findings to managementand to the investors who fund our loan book.
- You are highly analytical, with 3+ years’ experience in statistical or quantitative modelling.