Want to join a young start up with a big vision to reshape the narrative and raise the bar for beauty standards? This company’s mission is to create hair and beauty solutions that truly work, by listening closely and making the outsiders their insiders.
The word ruka means “doing hair” in Shona, and RUKA mean it when they say it – they want to do hair like it has never been done before. They want to build a brand for black women worth being loyal to, and they’re starting by developing curly hair extensions which truly match our curl patterns.
Now they need a Head of Ops (Supply Chain and Logistics). This is a new role at RUKA, to lead the company’s supplier network, omni-channel distribution and fulfilment operations, ensuring a best-in-class operational performance.
You will be responsible for translating their short, medium and long term business goals into crucial operational processes, which protect business continuity as well as ensure readiness for incoming product/market expansion plans.
From overseeing their supplier network across RUKA hair extensions, cosmetics and merchandise to leading on demand planning and inventory management, you are someone who is excited to design and implement the infrastructure needed to underpin a global beauty company. You’ll oversee their Quality Control team whilst working collaboratively with the R&D and Community Experience teams to ensure their products land with customers exactly as envisioned.
You are someone who naturally wants to “get to the bottom” of things, seeking clarity in everything you do. There’s no problem which can’t be solved by breaking it into smaller parts and digging into the details. Speaking of details – you are able to pay attention to the minute details, but communicate the broader messages therefore getting critical information to the team to drive decisions. You’re a brilliant and structured communicator, and you’re passionate about implementing processes and tools which can improve team/process efficiency.
What will you be doing?
What your day-to-day could look like…
- Co-ordination, communication and management of global supplier relationships across hair, merchandise and packaging
- Optimise ordering cycles of inventory and packaging (considering cash flow, demand changes, product redevelopment and supply chain delays)
- Overseeing and supporting their Quality and Production Manager and their team of Quality Control staff to maintain solid operations
- Working collaboratively with our design team to review and optimise their packaging for unit cost, and shipping parameters (e.g. sizes and dimensions) whilst maintaining an excellent unboxing experience
- Managing their product mix including generating SKUs, product price-points, unit economics and sell-through rates
- Owning the full view of the stock holding (e.g. total inventory value)
- Own the demand planning, using performance and input from customers to optimise inventory ordering, marketing efforts and demand projection at the SKU-level
- Driving the setup of processes which ensure our European logistics delivers the same customer experience standard
What the next 6 months could look like…
- You’ll build the crucial processes which will underpin the smooth running of the product operations and last-mile logistics
What the next 12 months could look like…
- You’ll push forward the optimisation across the inventory management, packaging and European logistics
What the next 18 months could look like…
- By taking ownership across the new distribution channels and geographies, you’ll be able to progress to become RUKA’s global Head of Operations!
Who are they looking for?
- 5+ years experience in operations supply chain and logistics in a fast growing consumer goods company
- Has previously managed relationships with East Asia based manufacturers and overseen supply chain / inventory management within a high SKU count business
- Direct to consumer, omni-channel & international exposure
- “Bias-to-action” – ability to move quickly to execute and push work forward
- Incredible organisational skills and a passion for infrastructure-building – you love creating a procedure and getting everyone using it
- High level of resilience to “firefighting” in a startup environment, as well as an eye for “breakpoints” and natural ability to mitigate risks
- Excellent problem-solving skills, and ability to bring the right people together for the best answer
- Flawless verbal and written communication skills
- Work confidently and quickly under pressure in a fast-paced business
The exciting bits!
- A passionate core team excited to work collaboratively to build an incredible business addressing an underserved market
- Dedicated fortnightly learning and development time plus a £1000 learning grant
- Flexible hours and hybrid/remote working to help meet your lifestyle goals
- Competitive compensation and pension contribution plus generous equity option as an early employee
- Fun team perks including social events
- 25 days of paid annual leave with option to take unpaid time off if you need it
- Additional sick leave allocation for people who menstruate
- Free RUKA products and merchandise for you, plus family and friends discount
The interview process
- Send off your application via Feisty so it’s sent straight to the employer
- Initial interview with the COO
- Video interview with existing members of R&D and Operations team
- F2F final interview with CEO
More about RUKA
RUKA hair are a young start up with a big vision; to reshape the narrative and raise the bar for beauty standards, one solution at a time. The word RUKA means “doing hair” in Shona, and they mean it when they say they want to do hair like it has never been done before.
Their mission is to create hair and beauty solutions that truly work, by listening closely and making the outsiders the insiders. RUKA want to build a brand for black women worth being loyal to, and they’re starting by developing curly hair extensions which truly match our curl patterns.