The community engagement platform made for local governments
Do you want to join us on our mission to shape democracies for the digital age? Are you looking for an international and fast-paced, yet collaborative and inclusive environment to thrive in?
You have come to the right place.
CitizenLab, a global social impact scale-up with its HQ in Brussels and presence in the UK, works to make public decision-making more participatory, inclusive, and responsive. The SaaS platform is already being used by 300+ local governments and organizations in over 18 countries, facilitating two-way communication between governments and their residents. Since it was founded in 2015, CitizenLab has given 750,000+ community members a direct voice in local politics, has earned recognition as the ‘Best Social Impact Startup in Europe’, and was featured in outlets such as The New York Times and Forbes.
CitizenLab is looking for purpose-driven talent to join us on our mission to enable millions of people in cities across the globe to shape the future of their communities.
Business Development Manager UK at CitizenLab
As our Business Development Manager UK, you will help CitizenLab grow in the United Kingdom by signing up new cities and growing our client base. If you care deeply about the future of democracy and have a keen interest in working with the public sector, this might be you. You will work closely together with our small UK-based team.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Identify, develop and close new business opportunities, and manage the sales cycle from discovery to demo to close.
- Help implement CitizenLab’s go-to-market plan by identifying market trends and best practices.
- Manage and grow a sales pipeline, while identifying gaps in current sales processes and bringing in best practices and new approaches to increase win rate and decrease sales cycles.
- Be(come) an expert in community engagement, present bespoke solutions, and apply consultative selling techniques.
- Grow CitizenLabs presence in the UK public sector by networking, public speaking, attending conferences, and developing new partnerships.
- Devise outreach campaigns based on relevant offerings for different government segments.
- Collaborate closely with the Country Manager UK and the rest of the UK team to set the strategy, and become a key contributor to our expansion.
What do we expect from you?
- 2-4 years of hands-on experience working in SaaS business development, sales or similar. A network in the UK public sector is a plus.
- Experience in consultative selling in a newer and rapidly changing, competitive market.
- Excellent understanding of UK local politics and the public sector, and strong interest in the domain of public governance & community engagement.
- Enthusiasm, humor, empathy, and the ability to convey this through phone, email and in-person communication. People have to enjoy talking to you. And you have to enjoy talking with them.
- Hungry to learn and teach. We invest heavily in making each other better.
- Bias towards immediate action and results. You’ve got to love measuring your own progress and are comfortable with exceeding sales quotas
- Willingness to take responsibility and accountability that comes with the autonomy in the role of Business Development Manager.
- You are based in the UK.
- Most importantly: you can demonstrate a big appetite to improve the functioning of our governments and democracies!
An eagerness to learn, talent, and enthusiasm are more important than ticking all the boxes. If you don’t meet all of the listed requirements but are motivated and excited about the role, we want to hear from you!
What can you expect from us?
- Unlock your full potential and create social impact at scale through our open-source product. Day-to-day, we work with local government leaders across the world to help them connect with their communities.
- Become a key factor in our rapid growth as scaleup (75 employees), and contribute to our international expansion.
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative, and supportive environment. We share a participatory culture of autonomy and ownership by everyone, not only by leadership.
- Be part of our dynamic, international team. We are as serious about our work in digital democracy as we are about having fun on our journey together.
- Enjoy an informal work vibe with open communication and full transparency on results.
- Participate in our various in-person and remote team events, inspiring team lunches, our company book club, bi-quarterly strategic town halls, and yearly global team retreats.
- Spend 10% of your time on personal projects and self-development for the long run. We’re committed to both collective and individual growth.
- Receive a competitive salary package, incl. perks such as 26 days off, a professional development budget, a collective bonus plan, your own laptop, full flexibility on working from home, and much more.
CitizenLab is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. Whilst we are proud of our cultural diversity and gender parity, we are aware of the limited racial diversity in our team and are committed to making a change on this. We strongly encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to apply.