Let's make software development universally accessible!
See full job description here: https://stepsize.com/careers/backend-engineer
💻 WHAT YOU WILL DO
As a backend engineer, you’ll be responsible for delivering, monitoring, and scaling the web services behind our product.
You’ll work on a very modern codebase and use the latest technologies to solve complex problems. Our backend consists of a few services – some micro and others larger than we’d like – running in containerised environments and bringing together all the moving parts that power our product. This includes authentication and security, analytics and monitoring, and ingesting / transforming / blending third party data and keeping it up to date.
You’ll find yourself collaborating closely with data engineers to define the architecture and APIs of data-intensive services, and you’ll lead the delivery of the rest of the backend which ranges from authentication to billing, caching, monitoring, and more.
Our backend currently runs on:
- Express and Koa with routing-controllers
- PostgreSQL, ArangoDB, and MongoDB
- Redis and Kafka
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Stackdriver, Redash, and Grafana
- Google Cloud Platform
Basically, building scalable and robust web services is what you do for a living.
💼 Relevant work experience:
- Working out how to break down complex backends into loosely coupled and sanely-architected services
- Implementing standardised API patterns (REST, RPC, GraphQL)
- Scaling backends from first release to a robust & highly available state
- Building secure applications with multi-tiered access levels
- Working with web services in containerised environments
📖 Technical knowledge
More than anything, you’ve shown an ability and hunger to pick up new technologies to get things done. Technology is a means to an end.
Relevant technologies and knowledge:
- Typed languages (we use Typescript – you’ll have to pick it up quickly)
- Web frameworks and API patterns (REST, GraphQL, RPC)
- Administering and optimising databases of all kinds (we use PostgreSQL, ArangoDB, and MongoDB)
- Containers (we use Docker) and their orchestration (we use Kubernetes)
Note that these are the technologies we use today but they’ll evolve over time and you’ll contribute to this evolution. The service-oriented architecture affords us a lot of flexibility.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://stepsize-1.workable.com/jobs/925911 →