Website Quill Content
Redefining content creation
Who are Quill?
If you ask Deloitte Fast 50 or Santander Breakthrough50, they’d say we’re one of Britain’s most exciting and disruptive businesses. If you ask our team, they’d say we’re a no-politics, people-first company where exceptionally smart individuals get the chance to have their voice heard and potential fulfilled (then pushed that extra bit more).
And if you ask our clients, they’d say we’re the content production partner they rely on to rapidly create high-quality copy and images to drive online sales. To date, we’ve produced over 15 million words of on-brand content – in 29 languages and counting – for 160+ of the world’s most boundary-pushing brands, including eBay, Farfetch and Google.
We do that through a combination of our unique methodology developed by the in-house team, our global network of ~2000 screened freelance creatives and Quill Cloud, our content production management platform.
What does being a Full-Stack Software Engineer at Quill involve?
You’ll be involved in all aspects of the development and expansion of the platform from inception, covering technical design decisions, visual design, development, deployment and maintenance. You will interact with all members within the team, and with other teams as well.
These are the skills you’ll need for the job:
- Teamwork: this is the most important skill. You understand that the output of the team outweighs the output of its individuals. You are approachable and open to suggestions, and open to offering advice and guidance.
- Pragmatism: you understand that the best decisions made are always geared towards meeting the objectives of the company. Pragmatism over ideology.
- Platform knowledge: you are comfortable working on an existing platform, and can make yourself accustomed with its inner workings.
- Big-picture thinking: you understand the end goals of the team and, in turn, the company, and can suggest new ideas that would help the user of the platform scale their work.
- Timely delivery of features: you are used to fast-paced environments where you constantly need to make quick yet calculated decisions about where your time is best spent.
What experience do I need?
You must have:
- An understanding of agile software development, in the traditional sense of the word
- Experience in delivering production-ready code
- TDD experience
- Experience in supporting a production environment
- Commercial experience in the following technologies:
- MySQL (or equivalent)
Ideally, you’ll have experience in:
- Google Cloud Platform
Why should I join Quill?
Like most startups, we talk a lot about our culture. But for us, culture isn’t just words on a wall. It’s part of our recruitment process, our personal development plans and our day-to-day.
If any of this sounds like you, you’re looking for a spot on the right team:
- Your integrity isn’t for sale. You don’t tolerate dishonesty, whether that’s between others or with yourself. You act in everyone’s best interests
- You’re not a settler. It really, really matters to you that everything you do is excellent. And you don’t shy away from empowering your colleagues to share those standards
- 10 minutes with nothing to do feels like an hour for you. You’re smart, energetic and driven, so you’re at your best when everything’s a little hectic
- You don’t like going through the motions or simply following instructions. You leap into complex situations that don’t have an easy answer and relish the challenge of coming up with one
- The idea of a fixed ‘remit’ doesn’t appeal to you. Neither does waiting three years to get a promotion you earned two years ago. You think and act beyond your role
- You’re a fundamentally kind, respectful person, searching for a place filled with similarly kind, respectful people
What are the benefits?
On top of joining the Quill family and all the benefits that come with that, you’ll also get:
- A competitive base salary
- 25 holiday days per year plus UK bank holidays
- A contributory pension
- Our Summer Away Day (no stuffy meeting rooms in sight)
- Monthly socials and lunches/breakfasts
- Fortnightly Inspire Lunches – past lunches have included how the CEO manages his wellbeing, what today’s most disruptive businesses have in common and a crash course in Russian
- A significant amount of time, expertise and attention put into your personal development, plus an unusually broad scope for rapid career progression
Quill is an equal opportunities employer.