Everyone deserves a job they love. Makers Academy retrains career-changers as software developers and helps them find that job.
You deserve a job you love. We’ve got one for you in our amazing Operations team for this key role. You’ll be joining a team that’s the glue that helps Makers run, and will be working closely with the Head of Operations and the Head of People. We’re looking for the sort of person that loves taming that beast called chaos, has an amazing eye for detail and is happy to muck in as and when needed. You’ll also love getting stuff done, finding problems and solving them creatively is your thing – all whilst having fun.
If you’re looking to join a team where you’ll learn, grow and make a difference and where you’ll be heard and valued – please apply!
- Oversee the admin side to support our work with our amazing hiring partners (HPs): a) You’ll be helping out with sending and chasing contracts between us and our HPs, b) You’ll facilitate us getting paid by making sure we have correct payment information and understand each HPs payment arrangements, c) You’ll ensure we know who the key contact managers are at each of our HPs and build a relationship with them so they get a great Makers service, d) You’ll work with our Finance team on any HP procurement related activities and build a great knowledge of our HPs internal systems, e) You’ll lead on making sure the software developers we train and place with our HPs have had the relevant background and reference checks done and become our in-house expert on the different referencing needs of each of our HPs
- Support our agency software developers to ensure they have a great experience and get paid on time: a) You’ll liaise with and get to know our agency software developers – acting as their trusted and helpful contact – advising where you can on a wide range of matters and referring them to other members of the Makers team if needed, b) You’ll be leading on the on-boarding for our Makers agency software developers, c) You’ll ensure our agency software developers are added to our timesheet and expenses systems, chase them as required and ensure their submissions are correct so they can get paid on time, d) Maintain the Makers agency software developers handbook and make improvements to it
- Act as a key contact for our Makers agency software developers from start to end of their course and beyond: You’ll be the friendly, helpful and warm voice at the end of the phone, email or in person who ensures every contact is of the highest quality
- Support the Head of People with recruitment and other People related activities
- Provide support to the finance team: You’ll assist our finance team with transactional tasks including processing supplier invoices and other ad-hoc tasks
- Provide admin support to the Head of Operations and Head of People as required – everything from approving holidays, updating and maintaining an agency calendar and supporting with recruitment
- Act as Reception/Customer support back-up: You’ll provide backup support for reception – meeting and greeting our guests with a smile and warm welcome – when our office manager is away.
What does success look like in this role?
- You’ll be a trusted, effective and relied upon member of the Operations team
- You’ll be known for your approachable, positive, friendly, willing and get stuck in attitude – with a reputation for getting stuff done with a great attitude to a great standard and to deadline
- You’ll be five steps ahead of everyone else when it comes to anything Operations related
- Your work for the finance team is accurate and completed to deadline
- You solve problems proactively; sometimes so effectively no one knows about them because you’ve already thought of and actioned a great solution
- You use your People Operations skills to build trust and add value to the team
- You’ll be known for your great attention to detail and ability to problem solve, multi-task, prioritise and organise yourself
- Your Operations processes are clearly defined and easy to follow and understand
- Timesheets are processed correctly and errors are minimal
- Your interactions both within and outside of Makers are customer-focused and you have a reputation for this.
- Working in a company that’s built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives;
- Growing as a person, by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively;
- Able to join yoga and meditation sessions run for the students;
- Join a scaling company that’s evolving all the time;
- We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum – we encourage our team to take at least 28 days a year;
- Private Medical Insurance (after you’ve been with us at least 3 months);
- A Perkbox account, including significant discounts on products, experiences and things like gym membership;
- Being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each others.
- Location: Our campus in Spitalfields, London.
- Salary: We’ll offer in the region of £25,000 – 28,000pa, depending on previous (relevant) experience. After a year in the role, you’ll be encouraged to set your own salary at least once a year (how do I set my own salary?)
- Application with questionnaire (and ideally, CV/LinkedIn)
- Phone Interview with the Head of People
- Face-to-face interview with the Head of Operations & Finance Manager
- Face-to-face interview with the Finance Director
- Face-to-face interview with the Head of People and our CEO
We’re building a working environment (and recruitment process) where everyone feels welcome and included – we think we’re doing a good job of that so far, but we know can do a lot better, and we’re committed to learning what more we can do to improve. If reading this job description has given you any doubt about whether you’d feel welcome or included at Makers, first, we’re really sorry; and second, we’d really like to hear from you about it, so we don’t do it again.
At Makers, we are inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking tech skills potential in people for the benefit of business and society. We combine tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives.
Founded in 2013, we’ve helped more than 1,500 people begin a new career in software and have been building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small.
No agencies please.