Modelling and analytics for weird and wonderful data
hyperexponential (hx) is an early-stage fintech start-up building a toolkit to help people build mathematical models with small, sparse and fragmented data. Such models can help answer questions like:
– How often will a company like TalkTalk have a data breach?
– What would happen to the property in Silicon Valley if there was an earthquake?
– What are the chances of Kanye West cancelling his sell-out tour?
Although they are much less researched and discussed than their more popular “big data” relations, this data is the primary source of information used to drive decision-making in a vast number of industries. Our background, relationships and initial focus are on the financial sector, but we believe that what we are making could just as easily help a doctor’s surgery or tennis club put their data to better use.
We believe that the next-generation platform for these models will be built on the modern web, and created by a combination of engineers, designers, data scientists, and community-makers. We are building this platform.
Full JD available via our portal at our website – get in touch if you want lots more detail about the job and us!
This is the first non-technical position at hx. At the moment the team has focused on product development, and everything operational is handled by the co-founders; we have now reached the stage where we need an enthusastic, efficient and driven professional to take this on and deliver it to the same high standard as everything else that we do.
The position is based on-site in South East London; most of our clients are in the City but you can expect to spend almost all your time in or around our office (we are currently in the Peckham Levels, a mixed-use creative, commercial and entertainment space that’s often touted as one of the coolest buildings in South London; we love it, and don’t expect to move far).
A demonstrable track record in providing operational support to a small, agile and evolving business, and the desire to develop your skills as the business scales. This is an extremely broad position; your main tasks centre around office administration, team support, and basic bookkeeping but there is an opportunity to provide input/drive key strategic business functions if you demonstrate the aptitude and ambition.
You will need excellent English, and communication skills in general. A good understanding of the Microsoft Office software is essential, particularly Outlook and Excel. You will be trusted with sensitive personnel and financial data and will need to handle this with the appropriate maturity and security. We aren’t hung up on formal qualifications, but we would like to see evidence of your skills, be that from a degree, professional qualification, outside-of-work projects and/or extra-curricular activities.
Your job will change on a day-to-day basis, but definitely includes:
- Office management
- Operational, facilities and business administration
- Bookkeeping and accounting work (using Xero)
- Team support, organisation and coordination
We can give you
- A highly competitive package, with the potential for some seed-stage EMI share options for the right candidate
- A career with all the benefits that an early-stage start-up can provide, with some of the risks mitigated – we are well-funded, have a ton of industry momentum/goodwill, and already have our first paying customer signed up
- An amazing, flat-structured work environment, with unusual levels of flexibility, transparency and meritocracy (as evidenced by our existing team)
- Our benefits are still developing, so you have the chance to influence these – currently they include:
- Well-stocked team fridge, and regular team meals (usually at least once-a-week)
- Choose a gadget for the office when you join
- Best-in-class training and development support – we are all compulsive learners, and this is actively encouraged
- We can help you become more technically skilled – we love programming and if you have the desire and aptitude to use it to help your work, we can help and support this
- A huge breadth and depth of career opportunities across the entire finance and operational spectrum – if you show the attitude and ability, we want and will support you to help us lead from the front as we grow