Modelling and analytics for weird and wonderful data
hyperexponential (hx) was founded in 2017 with clear mission to help people build mathematical models with small, sparse and fragmented datasets that are regularly used to drive critical decisions in many businesses. Our background, relationships and initial focus is on specialised insurance sector.
We believe that the next-generation platform these models will be built on the modern web, and created by a combination of software engineers, interface designers, data scientists and community-makers.
What it’s really like to work here
We do things a bit differently. There’s no corporate nonsense, and no old-fashioned hierarchy. There’s no micro-management. You are your own boss. You’ll get tons of guidance and plenty of support from talented and super-smart colleagues.
We hire engineers that empathise with our customers problems, develop solutions and measure results. We’re proud of our engineering team – it’s built an incredible product that’s changing the world.
What you will be working on
We estimate that this role is split approximately 70:30 between backend and frontend work, but our team is multi-skilled and incredibly flexible, so you will have the opportunity to shape your role and responsibilities as we grow.
• Key backend responsibilities centre around data integration – as a platform for statistics and data-science, we face a number of interesting challenges around internal data as well as external sources.
• As a fintech start-up, security and stability is as critical to us as performance, so working with security data is also part of this role. We have a state of the art infrastructure-as-code setup which you will be interacting with, and contributing to.
• Your frontend work primarily relates to the powerful React components and API we’ve designed and maintain for our clients to build model interfaces.
We love learning new things and working with cutting-edge technology, and we get to work on some really cool problems because of this. Examples of the sort of thing the team has on the horizon include:
• Planning our contribution to an open-source project to push the boundaries of cloud IDE development
• Rewriting our algorithm engine in Rust
• Building an automatic GraphQL schema generator to allow our clients to access their model data programmatically
• Looking at Gatsby/Next.js as part of our strategy to make all our data accessible/presentable via code
Our work ethic and approach make this sort of work “par for the course” at hx, and it’s our goal to keep it that way – it makes for an interested, productive and most importantly, happy team!
The position is based on-site in South East London; most of our clients are in the City and you’ll be there from time-to-time, but you can expect to spend almost all your time in or around our office (we are currently in the Peckham Levels, a mixed-use creative, commercial and entertainment space that’s often touted as one of the coolest buildings in South London; we love it, and don’t expect to move far).
• Developing web interfaces to applications running in the public and private cloud
• Designing, developing, and testing interface components that our clients use to build models
• Developing a scalable and highly performant system with everything this entails (automation, availability, monitoring, resilience)
• Taking architectural ownership for various critical components and systems
• Integrating multiple data sources and databases into one system
• Contributing to reviews, retrospectives and planning discussions for technical, product and company decisions
• Communicating and documenting solutions and design decisions
Technologies/methodologies we use
• ReactJS, Redux, Sagas
• Python, Flask, pandas, numpy, scipy
• Java/Kotlin, Spring Boot
• Go, Terraform
• AWS, Docker, ElasticSearch
• CI/CD, TDD, SCRUM, GitLab, Jira, Confluence
• 5+ years of Full Stack Software development experience
• Knowledge of data structures, algorithms
• Experience designing, building and maintaining APIs, microservices and data pipelines
• Understanding of design patterns, object-oriented development and test-driven development
• Outstanding problem-solving abilities and a clear commitment to making hx a great place to work
• Passion for writing clean, modular, well-commented, readable and reusable code
• Experience working in an Agile (SCRUM) environment
• A strong foundation in fundamental computer science/software engineering principles
• Experience working in a virtualised environment
• Aware of the Cyber Security landscape
• Experience integrating different 3rd parties services and products (OAuth, ERPs, etc.)
• Passion for learning new languages, e.g. Erlang, Clojure, Haskell, Elixir
What can we give to you
• A highly competitive package, including seed-stage EMI share options
• Top-tier, customisable tech (choice of Apple or Dell setup, with flexibility over OS, screen(s), and input devices) and office gadgets
• An amazing, flat-structured work environment, with unusual levels of flexibility and transparency
• Best-in-class training and development support – we are all compulsive learners, and this is actively encouraged
• A huge breadth and depth of career opportunity – if you show the attitude and ability, we want and will support you to help us lead from the front as we grow
• Well-stocked team fridge, and regular team meals (usually at least once-a-week)