Modelling and analytics for weird and wonderful data
hyperexponential (hx) is an early-stage fintech start-up building a toolkit to help people build mathematical models with small, sparse and fragmented data. Such models can help answer questions like:
- How often will a company like TalkTalk have a data breach?
- What would happen to the property in Silicon Valley if there was an earthquake?
- What are the chances of Kanye West cancelling his sell-out tour?
Although they are much less researched and discussed than their more popular “big data” relations, this data is the primary source of information used to drive decision-making in a vast number of industries. Our background, relationships and initial focus are on the financial sector, but we believe that what we are making could just as easily help a doctor’s surgery or tennis club put their data to better use.
We believe that the next-generation platform for these models will be built on the modern web, and created by a combination of engineers, designers, data scientists, and community-makers. We are building this platform.
Full JD available via our portal at our website – get in touch if you want lots more detail about the job and us!
We are looking for the next generation of analyst to use and contribute to the development of our next-gen pricing platform. This is an unusual and exciting position, which will combine your technical, analytical and communication skills to push the boundaries of modelling in the specialty insurance sector. This role would suit someone in the early stages of their career – from recent graduates through to a few years’ experience. In doing this job, you’ll accumulate some conventional actuarial experience, but with a strong emphasis on broad technical development – we believe this role will be a boilerplate for analysts of the future.
The position is based on-site in South East London; most of our clients are in the City but you can expect to spend most of your time in/around our office (we are currently in the Peckham Levels, a mixed-use creative, commercial and entertainment space that’s often touted as one of the coolest buildings in South London; we love it, and don’t expect to move far).
We are a bit biased, but if you’re inclined a certain way then hx is an amazing place to work. We enjoy pushing ourselves to our limits, but we do it in a positive, collaborative, and super-flexible environment, where we get to see the amazing results of our hard work in a really short time. We get back even more than we put in and our agile culture focuses us on what’s really important to us – Yes to continual learning, No to unnecessary meetings!
A strong degree in a technical subject (CS, engineering, etc), with excellent programming skills and a demonstrable interest in programming and/or data science. You will ideally have advanced Excel expertise and experience in Python. As this is a customer facing position, you will need excellent English (spelling and grammar) and communication skills in general, and you will be comfortable working independently and under tight time constraints. Experience in actuarial pricing (particularly Lloyd’s and London Market GI pricing) would be a real bonus but is not essential.
This role reports directly into our Chief Product Officer (one of the co-founders of hx) and covers a broad range of responsibilities:
- Building models in our platform for our clients, the industry and the modelling community
- Developing a framework for, and providing training to our clients
- R&D and collaborating with our engineers on new ways to help our clients using our platform
- Applying your analytical and technical skills internally across the business (not just in respect of our product)
We can give you
- A highly competitive package, including seed-stage EMI share options
- Top-tier, customisable tech (choice of Apple or Dell setup, with flexibility over OS, screen(s), and input devices)
- A career with all the benefits that an early-stage start-up can provide, with some of the risks mitigated – we are well-funded and revenue-positive, have a ton of industry momentum/goodwill, and already have our first paying customer signed up
- An amazing, flat-structured work environment, with unusual levels of flexibility, transparency and meritocracy (as evidenced by our existing team)
- Our benefits are still developing, so you have the chance to influence these – currently they include:
- Well-stocked team fridge, and regular team meals (usually at least once-a-week)
- Choose a gadget for the office when you join
- Best-in-class training and development support – we are all compulsive learners, and this is actively encouraged
- Help to develop your combination of analytical and engineering skills – both co-founders are qualified actuaries and computer scientists, and we see this combination as being part of the ideal skill-set for the analyst/data scientist of the future
- A huge breadth and depth of career opportunity – if you show the attitude and ability, we want and will support you to help us lead from the front as we grow